Guy laying on couch looking at iPad


1. What is a Primary Care Provider (PCP)?

A Primary Care Provider (PCP) is your personal physician/doctor, physician assistants, or nurse practitioner. She/he takes care of your medical and health maintenance needs, including referral to specialty care.

2. How do I make an appointment to see my PCP?

To schedule or cancel an appointment with your PCP, please call Valley Connection at 1 (888) 334-1000 (toll free).

3. What do I do if I have a health concern that needs urgent attention?

We offer Urgent (or Express) Care services for patients needing urgent care. For information about locations and hours, please go to our website: or call 1 (888) 334-1000 (toll free).

4. What if I have a question about my health and my clinic is closed?

Our After Hours Nurse Advice line is available 7 days a week, every day of the year, 8:00pm-7:00am. Please call 1 (888) 334-1000 (toll free) to speak with an advice nurse.

5. What pharmacy services are available at SCVMC?

When your doctor prescribes your medication, you can refill it at the number of locations. For refills, use the simple and convenient Automated Prescription Refill System. The 24-hour Refill Line is (408) 977-3500. For more information about pharmacy services, please go to our website: or call our Ambulatory Medication Services at (408) 977-3503.

6. Can I access my health information online?

SCVMC’s MyHealth Online (MHO) service allows patients to have secure and convenient access to personal health information from a computer, phone or tablet. For help with MHO, please call 1 (888) 334-1000 (toll free) or email us at: [email protected]

7. Who do I contact if I have questions about my bill?

Patient Business Services work with patients and families to help them understand their bills for Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, both hospital and clinics. Please call our Patient Business Services Department at (408) 885-7470. We are open Monday-Friday: 9:00am-4:00pm.

8. Who do I contact to find out if I am eligible for health insurance or coverage?

For a full evaluation of health insurance or coverage, please call Patient Access Department at 1 (866) 967-4677. We are open Monday-Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm (walk in) 8:30am-4:50pm​ (phone calls)

9. Who do I contact if I need behavioral health care?

Please contact your PCP. She/he can refer you to appropriate and convenient behavioral health services.

10. Who do I contact if I need medical social services?

Social workers are here to help you by providing crisis counseling and emotional support, as well as, making referrals to community agencies. If you would like to talk to a social worker, call the Social Services Department at (408) 885-5504. You can also let your nurse or doctor know that you would like to speak to a social worker, so that they can call for you.