10 Reasons to Work at SCVMC
1. Mission & Vision
Our mission is one of dedication to the health and well-being of the communities in Santa Clara County. As a safety net hospital, SCVMC provides medical care to the underserved as well as a number of specialized treatments for any resident of our community who may need our services.
As part of the Santa Clara Valley Health &, Hospital System, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (SCVMC) shares the vision of "Better Health for All".
2. Patients & Community
As a safety net provider, SCVMC serves a disproportionate amount of low-income residents. Equally important, SCVMC also treats patients who have private insurance. Many privately insured patients are referred to our regional specialty services.
Over the years, the makeup of Silicon Valley has changed and it is now a very dynamic, multicultural, multilingual community. Our patients are loyal and our community is supportive. Twice, the voters of Santa Clara County have approved bond measures to improve our facilities.
Leading the way is our outstanding group of highly qualified physicians. With a full complement of high caliber specialists who provide on-call specialty coverage, a remarkable group of advanced practice providers, nurses and ancillary staff, the medical providers at SCVMC provide high-quality care to the patients we serve.
Our bottom line? We have a great team that takes pride in their work and knowing that they are directly benefiting our patients and community.
4. Nationally Recognized
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center provides high-quality, specialized treatment for emergency medical care, trauma, burns and rehabilitation from severe injuries.
- Level One Adult Trauma Center, Level Two Pediatric Trauma Center
- The Burn Trauma Center is one of only two in Northern California.
- The Burn Center has received verification from the American College of Surgeons and the American Burn Association for providing optimal care to burn patients from the time of injury through rehabilitation.
- The Rehabilitation Center is nationally recognized and is certified by the national Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- The Sobrato Cancer Center is certified by the American Society of Clinical Oncology/Quality Oncology Practice initiatives.
5. Specialized Treatment Services
A number of programs and services are provided at SCVMC and Valley Specialty Center:
- Cardiovascular Center
- Center for Diabetes
- County Emergency Medical Services (EMS) base station
- Emergency psychiatric services, mental health urgent care, and inpatient psychiatric unit
- Neurosciences Center
- Palliative Care Program
- Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)
- STEMI Receiving Center
- Stroke Center
- Women's & Children's Health Services includes high-risk pregnancy programs, California Children's Services, regional Neonatal intensive Care and Pediatric intensive Care Units
6. Research & Learning
Medical education is another cornerstone of our mission. For over 55 years SCVMC has served as a major teaching institution training interns, residents and fellows. SCVMC is affiliated with Stanford University School of Medicine and University of California medical schools, and has free-standing approved residency programs and major residency rotations in a multitude of medical specialties.
Every year four residency programs are sponsored with 110 residents in the areas of Medicine, Ob-Gyn, Radiology, and Transitional internship. SCVMC also hosts about 67 Stanford residents and seven Stanford fellows from a wide array of residency training programs.
SCVMC educates a large number of undergraduate and graduate nursing students through affiliations with San Jose State University, Samuel Merritt University, University of San Francisco, and Evergreen/San Jose Community College District.
ln addition to having the opportunity to teach next generation of physicians, SCVMC provides medical professionals with stimulating epidemiology and diverse clinical challenges, as well as abundant opportunities to teach - whether at bedside, in lectures, or at M&,M conferences.
Continuing Medical Education is available in many departments, as are opportunities to perform research and participate in quality improvement activities.
7. Facilities & Technology
Founded in 1876, SCVMC has been rebuilt over the years, with the newest construction including the 370,000-square-foot Sobrato Pavilion, which opened in 2017, and our health center in downtown San Jose, which opened in 2016. SCVMC is working to obtain Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for green building design, construction, operations and maintenance.
ln addition to a full-range of diagnostic imaging modalities that are available 24/7, SCVMC has implemented an integrated electronic health record system (HealthLink) and a patient portal (MyHealth Online).
SCVMC offers an excellent compensation package that features a generous calendar of vacation and paid public holidays. Typically, employed physicians are off duty 10 weeks per year (51 weekdays). There is also an outstanding medical malpractice package through the County of Santa Clara.
SCVMC is one of three hospitals that make up Santa Clara Valley Healthcare (SCVH), the healthcare delivery system that also includes O'Connor Hospital; St. Louise Regional Hospital; and multiple primary, specialty and urgent care clinics.
In addition to SCVH, the County of Santa Clara's other health services include the Public Health Department; the Mental Health Department; the Department of Drug & Alcohol Services; Emergency Medical Services; and Valley Health Plan, a county-owned health insurance plan.
At SCVMC, there's no private medical staff to navigate, and you won't need to remember complex private admission or referral patterns. Because of an outstanding risk management environment, malpractice actions against physicians are rare.
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center is located in one of America's most dynamic and desirable places to work and live. Geographically central and culturally diverse, Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area offer residents the best:
- Moderate temperatures and exceptional climate.
- Major-league professional sports including football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and soccer.
- Spectacular coastline, redwood forests, alpine wilderness and some of the world's best wine-making areas, all within a few hours drive.
- World-class universities include Stanford and UC Berkeley.
- Dynamic local food scene and San Francisco just 50 mites north.